Learning the basic elements of art is essential to your child’s artistic skill and creativity development. Streamline your child’s foundation in the arts by signing them up at Children’s Art Classes. Begin to watch your child excel in school while simultaneously fueling their passion.
What are the Seven Elements of Visual Art?
Though simply put, the elements of art make up a complex learning standard for all aspiring artists. Educate your child on the seven elements of art to help them develop introductory skills:
- Line. A mark that joins two points. Whether straight, curved, wavy, or zig-zagged, a line suggests a path to travel, keeping the viewer’s eye moving through the artwork.
- Form. An object that is three-dimensional and encloses volume. Form typically pertains to spheres, cubes, and cylinders.
- Shape. Best classified as a two-dimensional, flat object or area in a painting. Typically, shapes are the same color, hue, value, and saturation throughout.
- Texture. Visualize the way things might feel or look as if they might be touched. Brushstrokes play a prominent role in how texture is perceived in a work of art.
- Color. This element of art is made up of hue, value, and intensity. It is what viewers see when light strikes an object. The color wheel is an excellent representation for new artists to connect with visual elements.
- Value. Value refers to the lightness or darkness of tones or colors. This term is best understood when learned as a scale from dark to light.
- Space. Refers to elements of art that are defined by depth. It can be categorized into positive space (the main subject of the painting) or negative space (the area surrounding the main object).
How do the Elements of Art Help Early Childhood Development?
The elements of art are essential to both artistic and intellectual development in children. This is especially true for kids beginning their art journey at a younger age.
- Motor Skills – Grasping and maneuvering a pencil or paintbrush will jumpstart your child’s comfortability with other tasks like tying their shoes or buttoning a jacket.
- Math – The elements of art aid in developing children’s math skills like geometry. This knowledge also helps them understand spatial concepts such as size & shape.
- Cognitive Development and Language Skills – Art at an early age fuels critical and imaginative thinking. It also helps children understand the concepts of cause and effect.
Experimenting with the elements of art is a fun way for kids to exercise their brains. Exploring the world of art is laid-back and encourages free play. At Children’s Art Classes, we offer a variety of Beginning Art courses to introduce your child to the beautiful elements of art.
Art is Fundamental to Learning
Whether it be math, English, science, or history, art can fully be integrated into any subject. This encourages creativity and provides a fun and engaging twist to a typical school day.
The benefits of art are endless and fundamentally useful as an outlet for expression. It plays an essential role in developing children’s communication skills in and out of the classroom. Art is a therapeutic way for kids to relieve stress or gain self-esteem.
At Children’s Art Classes, we’re making art classes more accessible. Let’s normalize the significant role of art in children’s cognitive development. Contact a studio near you to register for our Summer Workshops and Fall Programs.